This 8 day course will run over 4 weekends from September to December 2019. It i divided into t he two following modules:
Module 1:Yoga for Pregnancy
- - Pregnancy Yoga
- - Yoga for birth preparation
Module 2: Yoga for the Postnatal period
- - Postnatal rehabilitation Yoga
- Mum & Baby Yoga (for babies up to10 months)
After completion of this course you will be accredited by the Yoga Alliance Professionals to teach pregnancy yoga, yoga for birth preparation, postnatal rehabilitation yoga and mum & baby yoga.
Who is the course for?
Yoga teachers: The course is open to all qualified yoga teachers from any school or tradition. Trainee yoga teachers who have completed a foundation teacher-training course are also eligible to apply. Teachers must have a passion to use the physical and mental benefits of yoga to support women in this special and sacred time of their lives.
Yoga practitioners from other professions: Non-qualified yoga teachers are welcome to apply if they come from a related profession such as midwifery, medicine, doula, health workers, fitness instructors, body workers or education. All non-qualified yoga teachers must have been practising yoga for at least two years and have attended a minimum of 40 hours of yoga classes.
The Course Content (syllabus)
Module 1: Yoga for Pregnancy and Birth
Anatomy and Physiology (4 hours)
• The physiological changes, hormones and emotions from conception to labour.
• Labour, a ‘normal’ labour and other courses of labour, including induction, intervention and caesarean-birth. *This section will be led by midwife and co-tutor Evony Lynch
• The pelvis and pelvic floor in pregnancy and labour.
Complications in pregnancy (3 hours)
• Common conditions of pregnancy, including pelvic girdle pain or symphysis pubis dysfunction, sciatica, LBP, HBP, oedema, insomnia, fatigue, nausea, heartburn wrist pain, back pain and the impact of relaxin on the ligaments.
• More serious conditions, including preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.
• The dark side of pregnancy, bereavement and grief.
Yoga Asana (10 hours)
• Yoga in the first trimester, to practise or not?
• Asana and class sequences for the 2nd and 3rd trimester of yoga.
• Optimal Foetal Positioning and asana.
• The grey areas i.e. lying on the back, squatting in third trimester, when to stop or start adho mukha svanasana, baddha konasa, and inversions?
• Precautions, prohibitions and modifications in asana practice for women suffering from common conditions of pregnancy. Including safely integrating women with symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD) into a class.
• Using props in asana: swiss/gym balls, pilates balls, blocks, bolsters, cushions, chairs, straps, and paired work.
• The pelvic floor: traditional kegels, postural asanas for pelvic floor engagement and release, and structural support of the pelvis.
• Yoga for birth preparation: birthing positions for the 3 stages of labour.
Pranayama, meditation and visualisation (4 hours)
• Breathing practices for pregnancy and labour.
• Working with sounds, mantra and mudra.
• Visualisations, affirmations and meditation for pregnancy and labour.
Planning and teaching (4 hours)
• Lesson planning and class sequences to enable well rounded yoga classes that meet the varying needs of pregnant women.
• Incorporating yoga philosophy within a class.
The business of teaching pregnancy yoga (2 hours)
• Setting up a class, suitable venues, class times, payment structures, and health and safety.
• Discussing birth with sensitivity and non-judgement.
• Marketing and networking.
Module 2: Yoga for the Postnatal Period
Working with mothers (3 hours)
A Mother’s health and wellbeing, including postnatal depression, sleep deprivation, birth trauma, exhaustion, breast-feeding, the pressures of motherhood and further pregnancies.
The postnatal Period (4 hours)
• The first 6 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months, and beyond.
• The recovery process from birth and labour.
• Common physical issues, including diastasis recti, and wrist, back and knee pain.
• The impact of pregnancy, and labour on the pelvic floor and pelvis.
• The impact of breast-feeding on the body and our yoga practice.
Yoga for Postnatal rehabilitation (8 hours)
• Postnatal specific asana practices 6 weeks, 12 weeks and beyond.
• Rehabilitation yoga for diastasis recti
• Yoga for the “core”, the process of re-discovery.
•The pelvic floor:
- Exploration of traditional approaches to the pelvic floor, including mula bandha and kegels.
- Functional use of the pelvic floor.
- The use of small Pilates exercise balls.
- Pranayama and relaxation in the postnatal period.
Mother and Baby Yoga Classes (6 weeks to 10 months) (10 hours)
• Baby development 6 weeks to 10 months.
Asana for mother and baby together, including songs, movements, and visual props for babies.
Yoga for babies.
• Ways to hold, lift and carry baby safely.
• Breath work, mantra/sound, and relaxation for mother and baby.
• Class plans and sequences for Mother & Baby yoga.
• Class management, managing the unexpected and health & safety.
The Business of running classes for mums and their little ones (2 hours)
• Setting up a class, suitable venues, class times, payment structures.
• Child protection, and Enhanced Disclosures (CRB checks), our responsibility as yoga teachers.
• Marketing and Networking.
Yoga Alliance Professionals Accreditation
90 hours in Teaching Pre and Postnatal Yoga. This is a vocational training course, accredited by Yoga Alliance Professional (YAP). On completion of this course you will be qualified to teach Pregnancy Yoga, Postnatal Rehabilitation Yoga, and Mum & Baby Yoga classes. The course has met the stringent requirements set by the Yoga Alliance Professionals. Our graduates are trained to the highest standards.
Venue, dates and cost
Venue: The Wellbeing Studios St Agnes.
Miners and Mechanics Institute
St. Agnes Heritage Coast
Vicarage Rd, Saint Agnes, TR5 0TL
The course is spread over 4 weekends, Saturday 10.30am-5.30pm and Sunday 9.30am to 5.30pm. Students are expected to attended 100% of all contact hours in order to pass the course.
Weekend 1: Module 1 Pregnancy Yoga
Saturday 14th September 10.30am-5.30pm
Sunday 15h September 9.30am-5.30pm
Weekend 2: Module 1 Pregnancy Yoga
Saturday 12th October 10.30am-5.30pm
Sunday 13th October 9.30am-5.30pm
Weekend 3: Module 2 Postnatal Yoga
Saturday 16th November 10.30am-5.30pm
Sunday 17th November 9.30am-5.30pm
Weekend 4: Module 2 Postnatal Yoga
Saturday 7th December 10.30am-5.30pm
Sunday 8th December 9.30am-5.30pm
Cost of course: £850
Payment plan: £250 non re-fundable deposit to secure your place. 4 payments of £150 on the 1st of September, October, November and December 2019 via direct debit.
How to apply and Payment
There are a maximum of 12 places available on the course. To apply please fill out the application form and Amy Jones will contact you to confirm your suitability and place on the course. She will also send out pre-course information including the assignments and reading list. Please also make sure you have read and are happy the code of conduct and complaints procedure for all training courses with Amy before committing to the course. She will also arrange a payment of a non-refundable deposit of £250 per person to secure your place.
Course hours and materials
- 54 hours of face-to-face contact hours with Yoga Alliance Senior teacher Amy Jones. Two of these hours will also be with midwife and co-tutor Evony Lynch
- 16 hours personal reading and research.
- 20 hours assignment, planning and teaching.
Total course hours 90
Amy Jones will provide a detailed training manual for each module to support all aspects covered in the course. Students are expected to obtain all set texts on reading list themselves prior to the start of the course and will need to bring them to each day of the course. Additional useful books will also be included on the reading list for future suggested purchases and study.
Terms and conditions
The course costs £850. A non-refundable deposit of £250 is required to secure your place. The remainder (£600) is due in 4 instalments of £150 payable of the first of each month September to December 2019. Payment via BACS.
Sort code 40 43 36
Account number 31531956
Mrs A F Jones, use your name as the reference.
Included in the price:
- 8 days training and assessment by a qualified Yoga Alliance Processional Senior teacher
- Pregnancy Yoga training manual
- Postnatal Yoga training manual
- Refreshments through the day
- Certification upon completion of the course, including all assignments.
- Transport to and from venue
- Accommodation for the duration of the course
- Insurance to teach pregnancy yoga, postnatal rehabilitation and mum & baby yoga classes.
- Set course texts
Refund and Cancellation Policy (T&Cs)
Please note that all deposits are non-refundable, in the event you need to cancel your place:
- Cancellations 28 days or less before the course start date all payments made are non-refundable, deposit is non-transferable.
- Cancellations 29 days or more before the course start date payment deposit of £250 is transferable to a future course if there is an alternative suitable course.
- Withdrawing during the course: deposit and any attended weekends are non-refundable, payment for remaining unattended weekends will depend of your personal circumstances and reasons for withdrawing mid-course.
- Your place on the course can not be sold on or given to anyone else. All bookings and payments for the course are made directly through Amy Jones.
Please put any requests to withdraw in writing to Amy yoga at email@example.com
Amy Jones has the right to cancel the course at any point. In the unlikely event of a course being cancelled you will be refunded your full course fees or offered alternative dates, of which if you can’t attend you will be offered a full refund. Other costs incurred such as travel or time off work cannot be reimbursed.
Attendance and completion of the course (T&Cs)
Students should attend 100% of the course contact hours. Failure to attend the course contact hours will result in non-completion of the course and no certification. There may be the opportunity to make up missed contact hours, this must be pre-arranged with Amy Jones and additional cost will depend on support and hours needed. Certification of the course is also dependent on the successful completion and passing of all written assignments. If additional time and support is needed to complete assignments this will need to be agreed with Amy Jones and may incur additional costs.
Your details (T&Cs)
Please note that Amy Jones will pass on your details (name, email and phone number) to the Yoga Alliance Professional so they can contact you directly and invite you to register as a Trainee and Teacher. You understand you have the option of opting out of this registration process. Your details will not be passed on to any other parties.
Applicants from non-yoga teachers (T&Cs)
Graduates are only able to teach yoga in their professional capacity. Non-fully qualified yoga teachers cannot advertise themselves as a yoga teacher after the completion of this course. Graduates are only trained to teach pregnancy yoga, postnatal rehabilitation yoga and mum & baby yoga. Graduates who are professionals in another capacity will be offer an Affiliate Membership on a membership only basis with Yoga Alliance professionals. Non-yoga teachers must have been practising yoga for a minimum of 2 years and attended 40 hours of yoga classes and be able to provided evidence of this as part of the application process.
By registering and paying a deposit for the course you are agreeing to all the T&Cs laid out above, including the cancellation policy. You are agreeing to adhere to the code of conduct policy and confirm you have read and are happy with the complaints procedure.